Saturday 6 December 2014

Alright Microsoft - let me spell it out for you.


(Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2824443/microsoft-updates-skype-for-windows-mac-with-new-chat-interface.html)

Now - I know some people think that new looks and feels makes everything feel fresher and less boring. I'll admit - to some extent, you're right. We do occasionally need a little newness every now and then. Even the most stubborn of us could use a little change every so often.

But - why, why, why would you ever change an interface so completely? Why would you remove so much of the familiarity and replace it with something that so many people have never tried before? Switching up the layout to make it look worse than it ever did before? With so much clutter in one space, and so much empty space in another?

Microsoft - let me spell it out for you - PC's are not phones. PC's are not tablets. I know I don't speak for everyone saying this - but I know I speak for more than myself - We don't want monstrously giant buttons with no gradients on them. We don't want two-color vector art to replace the pretty 3D buttons we've had before. I'm even going to go out on a limb and say the new interface looks like crap. Just as Windows 8 did.

Not only does it feel boring and stale, it feels like a trip back to the 70's - from back before computers even had the mystical magic that they did back in the 80's. At least with the DOS prompt we had more than 2 colors to play with! Even Windows 95 looked better than this.

Did you not learn from the massive disaster that was Windows 8? This isn't the future. It's cardboard cut-outs that a kindergartener could imitate with crafting paper. With unwelcome layout changes, to boot.

I am sorry for such a strongly worded post, but when they change programs that I use frequently (such as Skype) in the name of "easier to use" and "to be more like the phone", it really upsets me.

I'm done now. I hope Microsoft realizes their mistake and - if they insist an interface change is in order, they do something a little bit better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment